XPS (extruded polystyrene) is a high performance rigid extruded polystyrene board used for thermal insulation. It is manufactured using a continuous extrusion method for creating a consistent rigid board free of CFC gases. Unlike other polystyrene products it has no voids between the cells, so it does not have a ‘bead’ structure appearance. The process permits accurate control of thermal and mechanical properties, producing very consistent quality material. This creates a rigid board with no bead structure that can then be sanded and moulded for specific requirements. XPS has higher thermal properties than EPS which makes it the prefered product for thermal insulation in commercial and residential building projects. What makes EPS and XPS different is their manufacturing processes. EPS uses steam and the blowing agent pentane to expand polystyrene resin beads and subsequently mold them into blocks, which can later be cut to size. XPS, on the other hand, processes melted polystyrene resin through an extruder and expands it, using blowing agents
- High resistance to heat flow (i.e. low thermal conductivity; 0.026W/m.K)
- High resistance to water vapour diffusion and water absorption
- Uniform density distribution, and dimensional stability
- High compressive strength to weight ratio
- Fire resistance (fire retardant is added as standard to British B2 standard)
- Resistance to bacteria and micro-organism growth
- Inert; resistant to low levels of acid, alkaline, and many chemical compositions
- Ecologically friendly (no CFCs or HCFCs are used in manufacture.)
Our XPS boards are 2500 x 600 mm in size, with straight edges and have a density of 32kg.
Thicknesses available are 25mm, 30mm, 50mm, 75mm and 100mm. Thicknesses up to 50mm have a smooth surface where as the thicker boards have a rough face to make them more suitable for gluing other substrates to them. Our XPS boards in stock have straight edges on them. Tongue and groove and ship lap edges are available on boards 50mm or thicker by request.
As we import this product, with enough lead time, other thicknesses, sizes, densities and edging are available. Container quantity rates are available upon enquiry.